VICTORIAN HOMES OF LOS ANGELES
CARROLL AVENUEResidence of merchant Aaron P. Philips 1887 with Queen Anne and Eastlake Style carpentry and unique shingles in superb condition.
Retired miner and former City Los Angeles major Horace M. Russell's 1887 pure Eastlake Style house. First owner of Nº 1316 was George O. Ford.
James B. Mayer's outstanding Queen Anne example was built in 1887 with a five-sided turret at Nº 1320 then sold to brewer Ferdinand A. Heim.
Once part of the Beaudry Brothers' 1886 Park Tract Area development, building Nº 1321 was moved to Carroll Ave. 1978 from Court Street.
Victorian is not an architectural style, it's an era which began in 1837 when Queen Victoria ascended the throne and ended in 1901.
A period in history with great changes: The United Kingdom of Great Britain reached new heights as an imperial power. Industrial production created great prosperity for a few, but troubles for the working class.
Plan Book cottage with rich ornamental iron work, built in 1887 at Nº 1324 for businessman John Scheerer.
The residence at Nº 1325 was built in 1887 for gardener Hiram B. Irey in an asymetrical Eastlake Style with hints of the Stick style.
Art glass panes on the upper halves of the windows and a handcarved balustrade at Nº 1329 built in 1887 in pure Eastlake Style for city councilman Daniel Innes.
Victorian Residence of dairyman Charles Sessions 1889 by architect Joseph C. Newsom. Elaborate shingle and spindle work at Nº 1330.
Residence of Mary E. Foy at Nº 1335. She became the first woman to hold the office of city librarian at the Los Angeles Public Library.
Carroll Avenue Nº 1344 is a Gay Nineties Style house built in 1894 for real estate agent Charles C. Haskin. The sunburst pediment is a Hollywood film location scouts favorite!
Queen Anne home with characteristic red brick foundation at Nº 1345 built in 1887 for warehouse operator Michael Sanders.
Industrialist Henry L. Pinney's house at Nº 1355 is an Eastlake residence with a large porch. No modifications since 1887 and an original stone retaining wall.
Architect Joseph Cather Newsom's El Capitan design 1889 for engineer John B. Winston. Angular bay & art glass window at Nº 1407.
Carroll Avenue 1411 is a typical Eastlake design with art glass bay windows constructed in 1887 for businessman Frank Kaiser.
The 1893 Bates House at Nº 1415 was moved from Pico Boulevard to Boyle Heights in 1921 and relocated 1988 to the Angeleno Heights district. Nice sunburst design in the gables.
James S. Luckenbach's 1887 Queen Anne style home at Nº 1441 was constructed by architect J.L. Frank. The ten-room single family house once used as tuberculosis sanatorium.