Historic buildings United Arab Emirates
The Al Fahidi Fort constructed 1790 from coral stone and gypsum to defend the town against neighbouring tribes also served as the ruler's palace. Now a urban history museum presenting the traditional way of life around Dubai's creek.
Residence of Sheikh Maktoum the Ruler of DubaiThe Sheikh Saeed bin Maktoum Al Maktoum house was built in 1896 at the Al Shandagha area as residential quarters of the ruler of Dubai whe he moved out of the old Al Fahaidi Fort.
The buildings of the Bastakiya conservation area in Bur Dubai with wind towers and courtyard housing between small alleys.
The Bastakiah district was named after the Bastak region in southern Persia where many pearl traders came from. Attraced by low trade tax this sunnite Arabs settled here in the 1890's to do business with the dhows from India or East Africa.
Persian faience tilework facade at the Ali ibn Abi Talib mosque.
Bur Dubai was the heart of old DubaiThe house of Sheikh Juma bin Maktoum Al Maktoum was built in 1928 along the banks of Dubai's creek around a spacious courtyard with trees.
This historic watchtower then protected the traffic of merchandise on the Creek. The Al Shindagha Tower was built in 1939 and restored 1994.
The entrance of a vernacular courtyard building occupied by workers of the nearby Deira fish, meat and vegetable market.
The Bayt Al Wakeel is a historical building established 1935 as an office for the Gray MacKenzie Ltd. shipping agency, the Gulf agents for the British-India Steam Navigation Company. Today a creekside restaurant with the touch of a maritime museum.